With PostFinance car insurance, we guarantee you trouble-free mobility with the very best terms. Take out insurance online, manage your payments and file claims in just a few minutes. By choosing from our very attractive offers, you can tailor your coverage to your own needs. This means you only pay for what you actually need.
The advantages for you:
- Permanently low prices
- TOP insurance coverage − other optional extras
- Free choice of garage in the event of a claim
- Three-month cancellation period – no risk
- Quick and uncomplicated claims handling with reputed partners
- Available 24 hours a day via modern online cockpit
- Only available from us: environmental option to offset CO 2 footprint
Pick one of the following basic packages:
- Liability insurance
Liability insurance is required by law and covers damage caused to other people, vehicles, buildings or the environment by the insured vehicle.
- Liability insurance + partial coverage
Partial coverage also includes damage caused by natural hazards, fire and theft, as well as glass damage to the owner’s vehicle.
- Liability insurance + partial coverage + full coverage
Full coverage also includes collision damage to the owner’s vehicle. Full coverage is required for leased vehicles.
Broaden your coverage to include the following:
- Parking damages
Your insurance will cover damage caused by unknown individuals to your parked vehicle.
- Vehicle legal protection
Your insurance will cover legal disputes that arise from the use of the insured vehicle.
- Personal belongings
Your insurance will cover damage to or theft of personal belongings that you are carrying with you in your car.
- Gross negligence
If you drive negligently in road traffic and thereby cause an accident, the insurance company is entitled to reduce the claims payments. By expanding your insurance to cover gross negligence, we will refrain from recourse or a reduction in benefits for damage caused by gross negligence (this does not apply if you are under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication).
- Glass breakage in headlights
Your insurance will cover damaged or broken headlights, tail lights, indicators, bulbs and LEDs.
- Value supplement
In the event of a total loss or theft, the current value plus a supplement will be compensated.
- Roadside assistance
Our roadside service is there to help you if you have a vehicle breakdown, lose your keys or run out of petrol anywhere in Europe.
- Personal accident insurance
This extends coverage to the vehicle occupants in the event of consequential damage after an accident.
- CO2 option
Do your bit for the environment by offsetting your CO2 emissions. If you choose this option, every kilometre you drive will support a “south pole” project we have selected. One of the aims of this socio-economic project is to tackle unnecessary CO2 emissions. You can find more information here.
You can calculate your own personal premium easily and without obligation using the premium calculator. We always assume the lowest insurance grade and do not use complicated models such as the bonus/penalty system in your favour. These premiums can either be paid on a quarterly basis, every six months or on a yearly basis. You can cancel your insurance with a notice period of three months.
You can take out PostFinance car insurance if the most frequent driver is at least 20 and has had a driving licence for at least two years.
- Determine the termination date for the current insurance policy
The conditions can be found in the policy or in the General Terms and Conditions of Insurance (GTCI). Usually, the notice period is three months before the end of the annual contract term.
- Enter your details in the Premium Calculator and calculate your premium
Under commencement of cover, enter the end date of the current policy.
- You can take out PostFinance car insurance online in just a few minutes
- Cancel your current insurance policy
You can use our termination letter template for this. You can find details below about when you can change your existing insurance policy.Termination letter template
- We will send your proof of insurance to the road traffic department in your canton
- Report the change of insurance policy to the road traffic department.
The electronic proof of insurance will be transmitted automatically by us to the road traffic department in your canton. You can register the vehicle by going in person with the old registration document to the road traffic department approximately four to five days before the date you entered for the change of insurance, or by sending the registration document by post.
When changing vehicles, the road traffic department requires the following documents:
- From the old vehicle: original registration document for cancellation.
- From the new vehicle: Registration document (for used vehicles) or the inspection report form 13.20A (new vehicles), which is usually completed directly by the dealer.
If you are sending the registration document:
- Indicate in a way that is clearly visible (e.g. using a Post-it note) the date of the change of insurance.
- The road traffic department will send you the new registration document.
Please pay attention to any holidays. For insurance starting on 1 January, the registration document must reach the road transport office before 1 January.
A period without insurance should be avoided at all costs.
The insurance coverage will apply from the commencement of cover date specified in the policy.
When can existing insurance be changed
- When the contract expires
By giving due notice, you can cancel your insurance with effect from the end of the contractual period. If the contract is not cancelled, it will normally be extended by a further year.
- When changing your vehicle
If you replace your old vehicle with a new one, for example, the insurance for the old vehicle can be cancelled. Let the current insurance provider know quickly, so that they can terminate the contract and refund on a pro rata basis the annual premium that has been paid in advance.
- If the premium changes
If the insurer changes the amount of the premium or the excess, or if it reduces the benefits, you can cancel with effect from the date of the contract amendment. The notice of termination must have been received by the insurer before the new premium applies.
- If there is a change of owner
If there is a change of owner, the comprehensive insurance cover will cease. The personal liability insurance cover will be transferred to the new owner, however. The new owner may cancel this within 14 days of the transfer. The old personal liability insurance expires once the new party is listed on the registration document. Please note that some insurers do not accept a transfer within the family as a reason for termination.
- In the event of a claim
If the insurer pays compensation in the event of a claim, you may terminate the policy. The deadlines are governed by the General Terms and Conditions of Insurance (GTCI). The liability of the insurer ends 14 days after the notice of termination is received. If the contract has been in force for longer than one year and the damages do not constitute a write-off, you will receive the prepaid annual premium back on a pro rata basis.
- General Terms and Conditions of Insurance (GTCI)
- Broker information (Article 45 of the Insurance Supervisory Act [VAG])
- What to do in the event of an accident
PostFinance offers car insurance in cooperation with TONI Digital Insurance Solutions AG and Great Lakes Insurance SE (a Munich Re Group company).